Baptism at Shadow Mountain
What is baptism?
We believe that the proper way of believer's baptism is by immersion. Notice these facts:
- The Greek word “baptizo”, which is translated “baptism” in our English Bibles, means “to immerse, dip or submerge.”
- Jesus was immersed in His baptism. The Scripture says, “…Jesus, when he was baptized (immersed), went up straight-way out of the water.” (Matt. 3:16)
- Immersion is the only method of baptism that properly identifies the believer with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection. When we are immersed in water we identify ourselves with Christ in His death. Arising out of the water, we declare our faith in His resurrection.
“…buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.” (Col. 2:12).
Why be baptized?
How can I be baptized at Shadow Mountain?
- It is God’s command that believers be baptized. Just before Christ left this earth, He left these instructions to His disciples, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matt. 28:19)
- Jesus gave us an example of obedience to follow. “And it came to pass in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in the Jordan.” (Mark 1:9-11) The baptism of Jesus was an act of obedience to the heavenly Father.
- Baptism is a public statement of a person’s faith in Jesus Christ and his or her identification with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection. Baptism also symbolizes our death to the old life of sin and proclaims our resurrection to a new life in Christ.
- Respond to the altar call at the end of one of our services and let one of our pastors know that you are interested in being baptized.
- Fill out the Membership/Baptism application.
- Attend a Membership/Baptism Class.
- Upon completion of the class you will be assigned your day to be baptized.
If you have any further questions, please contact us at 619.440.1802.
Email Us About Baptism